Help when you need it.
In 2013 we introduced our online mentors program for Cyber Aces Online courses. 10 mentors volunteered their time, energy, and impressive knowledge to help participants whenever they encountered trouble. Eight of the mentors were volunteers from SANS, another from the University of Virginia, and another from Blue Ridge Community College. Cyber Aces Foundation would like to thank all the mentors for their support.
176 users registered for the program, generating over 640 answers and helpful suggestions – from both the mentors and students. Eight live Q&A sessions were held prior to the quizzes. Overall, the introduction of the online mentor program was a success and we look forward to expanding the program for the 2014 season.
Here’s a small sample of our online mentors and a little about their backgrounds.
- 16 years experience in the IT field.
- Worked as a technician in customer service organizations, network administrator, project manager implementing new technologies, enterprise architecture technology officer, and supervisor of IT specialists.
- Certified in IT Project +, Wireless Network Administration, and in SANS Security Essentials.
- Currently a Senior Security Engineer for the NIH OCIO (National Institutes of Health Office of the Chief Information Officer) Information Security Program.
- Technical achievements include GSEC, GPEN, GWAPT, RHCT and various Microsoft, Apple and VTC certifications.
- A typical day consists of Enterprise Vulnerability Management and Mitigation, Incident Handling and Response, and development of policies and guidelines at a both a Federal level and for the Center for Internet Security.
- Also a SANS Mentor and has taught both general IT and security focused classes for several years.
- Community SANS instructor teaching primarily in Intrusion Detection, Incident Handling, Forensics and Penetration testing.
- When not teaching for SANS, he works for Defence R&D Canada, in the Cyber Operations and Signals Warfare section.
- An STI student working on completing his Master of Information Security Management
- Certifications include GIACs GSLC, GPEN, GCIH, GSEC, GCFA, and GAWN certifications, is a current CISSP, and is also a Professional Engineer.
- Over 15 years’ experience as a network and systems administrator, with a wide range of experience, including firewall management, VOIP, Novell Netware, Windows Servers, MS SQL, Exchange, Citrix XenApp, virtualization technologies, IP cameras, and policy writing.
- Certifications from Novell, Microsoft, Citrix, and GIAC
- 13 years experience in security, networking, and servers, currently employed at Blue Ridge Community College
- I enjoy the technical aspects of security; setting up and monitoring IPS and IDS, and evaluating packet captures for malware
- I’ve been working with kids in one way or another for much of my life. I taught math and was “the computer guy” at our school for six years.